Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Spots, Dots and Circles


     It's been cold here in Minnesota so I decided to take the next group of photos in my studio building. It is quite an unique property because it once housed the manufacturing of a large American seed company.  There are beautiful pictures in the lobby of women in printed cotton dresses during the 1940's using tweezers to fill garden flower packages.  Today this building houses many artist studios and various small creative businesses.  The building is "crusty" in a good way. 



     When I saw the dress I knew I had to have it.  I like the comfort of silk knit and I use circular patterns often in my artwork.  At openings the audience needs to see you as the artist, not as part of the crowd.




dress--BCBG (anniversary gift from Dean)
tights--Hue
shoes--Calvin Klein (thrifted)
necklace--Vera Wang
bracelet--gift from Stacie


     I have done a series of pieced sticks with colored paper tips.  They make a complex surface and I enjoy the contrast with the highly painted figures.  These women are planting a tree with the hope of lasting growth, long past their own lives.  They are approaching a special event, one of which they have gathered their best selves and goodwill.  They are prepared to do the job at hand.





10 comments:

  1. WOW - this is a fabulous dress and you style it so well. You look gorgeous.

    Very unique location for a photoshoot!

    I will be back.
    Annette
    Lady of Style

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Annette for the generous comments. Your blog looks great and so does your daughters! I'm just getting started at blogging and I think for now I'm going to post about once a week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ann,
    Thank you so much. My blog is new as well and I am really glad I discovered yours.
    Here in Germany I couldn't find any personal fashion blog targeted at our age group yet, I'll keep on looking though.

    The current snowfall also prevents us from taking any outside photos and therefore I won't be able to post more often at moment. Working on some articles in the meantime.

    I am looking forward to your next update!
    Annette
    Lady of Style

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ann, thank you so much for commenting on my blog, which allowed me to discover yours!

    You're off to a fabulous start - I love your style and incorporation of your artwork, so right that it's all connected. Your photography and backgrounds are top-notch as well. Pleased to "meet" you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Amber for the encouragement. I was wondering if including the art was the right move.. I think it is because art such a big part of my life.

    Look forward to your next post,

    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  6. You own a rather wide range of very pretty coats. I like best the red and black one with the flower scarf. Like in Germany you have still a lot of snow at the moment, I see. Let's hope that spring will start soon. Best wishes and lots of luck with your new blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ann,
    Just discovered your blog. Love it! I can tell you're an artist just by the way you style your clothes, and I love the fact that you include pix of your artwork. I started blogging just a few months ago with two friends. We're in your age range (well, they are -- I'm older...)and I do fashion on Mondays.I grew up in Mpls so I'm enjoying your pictures of the snow!
    Heather
    http://friendshiplifeandstyle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just discovered your blog and it is seriously awesome!! It's such a fresh discovery form the look-alikes I see everywhere else, I look forward to more! :) Your style is divine.

    Also, your studio looks amazing! I wish my workplace looked something like that!

    xx
    Sophisticated Lace

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kamila, Thanks for commenting on my blog. Really excited to see your blog! Love your style. I'm adding you to my list to follow!

    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  10. your pictures are so beautiful!
    But I can't get what tecnique you have used. Is it a mosaic?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I enjoy hearing comments and input.